Tuesday, June 30, 2009

What to read next?

I know everyone is getting busy with the summer, so I will make a few proposals of reading material for perhaps one more meeting this summer. There are a few directions we could go in:

1) more on race: select from Omi & Winant, Gilmore, Wilson, Tyner?

2) political economy/marxian geography foundations & updates: selections from Harvey's Social Justice and the City, & Peck's Work/Place, with maybe a piece from Wright's Disposable Women and/or Gidwani's Capital, Interrupted...

3) Milwaukee: Nik Heynen's Annals piece, plus selections from Perspectives on Milwaukee's Past

These are only suggestions to begin a conversation. Please comment on this post if you want to continue, and have an opinion on what you'd like to read in a group!
best,

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Kristin for the post!

    All the three directions of readings are interesting to me, and I would look forward to the opportunity of discussing any of them. In particular, I would like to read a bit more on Melissa Wright's Disposable Women, David Harvey's Social Justice and the City, as well as Vinay Gidwani's Capital, Interrupted...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello All! I would love to do more with David Harvey's Social Justice and the City....I started reading Nik Heynen's piece and it is also really interesting....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also interested in Kristin's proposed option 2. I'm wondering if anyone could suggest some Doreen Massey that might also complement this body of work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey guys,
    we kind of fell down on the job. Maybe next summer....
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete